Autumn is here in our beautiful city. I hope you had a fantastic summer and are getting back on track for the Autumn season.
Fall is the time when many of my patients ask about cleanses, specifically liver detoxification. In this article I will focus on specific supplements that are excellent for liver support and detoxification.
Your liver is extremely important to your overall health. It is also the organ that it very sensitive to the toxic effects of chemicals, drugs, alcohol, gut health and nutritional state. It is our main filter. It produces bile which helps our digestion, it metabolizes and excretes hormones, it produces cholesterol, balances our blood glucose, the list goes on.
Keeping our liver healthy should be a priority not only when we feel we need a “cleanse” but on a daily basis. The supplements I will be mentioning can be taken on a daily basis as many of them have so many benefits not only for our liver health, but also for our overall health.
I recently attended a seminar on natural treatments to reverse liver damage, specifically Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Fatty liver disease. There were 5 supplements that stood out to me, based on great research and excellent clinical results. I would suggest adding these into your daily routine for liver and overall health.
- Phosphatidylcholine. This can be in the form of soy lecithin or sunflower seed lecithin. This is a great supplement to detox the liver and gallbladder, support detoxification in the liver and promote the flow of bile. Studies have shown taking lecithin daily can lower liver enzyme levels.
- COQ10. Taking 100mg of this vitamin has shown to reduce liver inflammation, reduce liver enzymes, and improve liver health in fatty liver disease.
- Magnesium taken daily can also help to reduce inflammation throughout the body, including the liver. It is also a cofactor in the production of energy which the liver needs for proper function.
- Berberine is a compound found in certain plants. It is effective in reducing cholesterol, high blood sugar, and in improving liver health. If you choose 1 supplement for your liver and overall health, I would suggest berberine.
- Glutathione is a master antioxidant. It is naturally produced in the body, mostly in the liver. It is used to detoxify chemicals and toxin. Supplementing with glutathione will reduce the toxic burden in the body and support overall liver health.
Fall is a great time to cleanse the body, coinciding with the change of the season. Cleaning up your diet, eating an anti-inflammatory type of diet, avoiding alcohol, exercise and practicing stress management techniques such as meditation and yoga is a great way to improve your overall health. The benefits include more energy, a stronger immune system, improved mental clarity and better digestion. I recommend at least a month of detoxification using these lifestyle changes and supplements.
Please consult with your medical or naturopathic doctor before starting any new supplements, especially if you take prescription medications. I do recommend seeing a Naturopathic Doctor to develop a personalized detoxification program based on your individual needs, goals and current state of health. We have some great Naturopathic Doctors at Vitalia Health Care with years of experience in detoxification programs.
Enjoy our beautiful city in the next few months of Fall!
Yours in health,
Dr Tasreen Alibhai, ND
Also Read These Related Pages