Its spring in our beautiful city. It is so nice to be able to see a gradual reopening and return to living the way we used to, slowly. Unfortunately, the last 2 years has taken its toll on some and stress has been at an all time high for many people.
Thyroid Health During Stressful Times
We all know stress; you hear the word thrown around a lot nowadays. We know the toll it can take on even the healthiest bodies — but can you imagine what it can do to those of us with preexisting health issues? While stress alone cannot cause hypothyroidism, it may definitely exacerbate the problem.
Adrenal Health Restoration Suggestions
1. Eat a well balanced diet that includes veggies (colors of the rainbow and lots of greens), protein and healthy fats and complex carbohydrates. Protein and vegetable every time you eat! Fruits and pre-cut veggies make great snacks, Include protein in your breakfast meal, half of your plate should be vegetables.
- a. Protein Sources – plain yogurt, chicken, fish, turkey, meats, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, protein powder
- b. Veggies – green leafy vegetables, cruciferous, anything with lots of color. Tubers such as sweet potatoes, yams, jicama and parsnips can be a source of carbohydrates for energy.
- c. Healthy Fats – olive oil, coconut oil, raw nuts and seeds, organic real butter, nut butters
- d. Carbohydrates – grains (1/2 cup), white potatoes (1/2 cup), pasta (1/2 cup) breads (one slice). Stay away from crackers, chips and most baked goods. If gluten-free, avoid most GF baked goods as they are usually high in sugar and very starchy.
General Health to Support During Covid 19 Pandemic
To our patients, friends and community. I hope each one of you and your family is doing okay during these difficult times. This is such a fast- moving situation with uncertainty. Many of us, including myself, are feeling anxious and maybe fear during this global pandemic. For me, there is comfort in knowing we are all going thorough this together and we are not alone. It is heartwarming to see how our global community has come together during this difficult time.