Its spring in our beautiful city. It is so nice to be able to see a gradual reopening and return to living the way we used to, slowly. Unfortunately, the last 2 years has taken its toll on some and stress has been at an all time high for many people. Continue reading
1. Eat a well balanced diet that includes veggies (colors of the rainbow and lots of greens), protein and healthy fats and complex carbohydrates. Protein and vegetable every time you eat! Fruits and pre-cut veggies make great snacks, Include protein in your breakfast meal, half of your plate should be vegetables.
- a. Protein Sources – plain yogurt, chicken, fish, turkey, meats, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, protein powder
- b. Veggies – green leafy vegetables, cruciferous, anything with lots of color. Tubers such as sweet potatoes, yams, jicama and parsnips can be a source of carbohydrates for energy.
- c. Healthy Fats – olive oil, coconut oil, raw nuts and seeds, organic real butter, nut butters
- d. Carbohydrates – grains (1/2 cup), white potatoes (1/2 cup), pasta (1/2 cup) breads (one slice). Stay away from crackers, chips and most baked goods. If gluten-free, avoid most GF baked goods as they are usually high in sugar and very starchy.
“The results from both epidemiological and physiological studies have demonstrated a strong association between excess abdominal adipose tissue and the presence of metabolic risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD), including insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, and increased circulating inflammatory proteins”(1). Continue reading
Targeting Angiotensin 2 as an Anti-Aging Plan
Dr. Quinn Rivet B.Sc., ND
For many years doctors have been treating kidney disease, high blood pressure and heart disease with drugs that block something known as angiotensin II (anne-gee-o-ten-sin-two) or short form Ang II. Ang II can cause constriction of the blood vessels and salt retention so blocking it can help relax the vessels and put less stress on the vessels and thus the kidneys and heart.